In 2010, Florida became a real I.D. state, which requires individuals renewing or obtaining a new license or ID card to prove his/her identity, social security number and residential address with new documentation requirements.
The general documents required for a U.S. citizen are:
One of the following to prove your idenity:
- Certified U.S. birth certificate
- Valid U.S. passport or passport card
- Certificate report of birth abroad
- Certificate of Citizenship
One of the following documents to prove your Social Security number:
- Social Security Card (the card must show your current name. Please get the name changed on your Social Security card before you come in to get a name changed on your driver license).
- Typed W-2 form
- Pay check showing number
Proof of residential address (must present two of these documents):
- Deed, mortgage, payment booklet, or rental agreement
- Florida vehicle registration or title
- Utility bill or hook-up/work order, not more than two months old
- Florida Voter Registration Card
Documents to prove legal name change (Needed if current name differs from the one on your birth certificate.)
Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court order showing your name changes. Documents must link the name on your identity document (birth certificate) to your current legal name.
Non-U.S. Citizen: Document requirements are the same for Social Security number (if issued) and residential address.Click Here to Obtain A Personalized Document List