TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP ON AN OUT OF STATE TITLE
When seeking to transfer ownership of a vehicle or mobile home titled out of state, you must bring the following to the tax collectors office:
- The original out-of-state title properly completed by the seller.
- A copy of the current registration to be transferred (if applicable).
- Proof of current Florida property damage liability and personal injury protection insurance, including the insurance company’s name and policy number.
- Each applicant must be present to sign the new application for title and provide a government issued photo identification.
TITLE APPLICATION AND REGISTRATION ON AN OUT-OF-STATE VEHICLE
When seeking to register a vehicle that was previously titled out-of-state, you must complete an Application For Certificate Of Title, which may be obtained and completed prior to visiting the tax collector’s office.
The following items are also required:
- The original out-of-state title certificate in your name or an out-of-state title properly assigned to you, or a valid out of state registration (cannot be more than 60 days expired).
- If the vehicle has been owned less than six months, you will need to provide proof of purchase price in the form of an invoice or bill or sale showing the amount of sales tax paid.
- If the vehicle is leased, you will need a copy of your lease agreement.
- A vehicle identification odometer verification form (Form 82042), which must be completed by a law enforcement officer, a Florida notary, a Florida Division of Motor Vehicles compliance examiner, the U.S. Military Police or a Florida licensed car dealer.
- Note: Completing Section 6 and 8 of the application for certificate of title fulfills this requirement.
- Proof of current Florida property damage liability and personal Injury protection insurance, including the insurance companies name and policy number, when purchasing a license plate or extending the registration period.
- When transferring a license plate, the current registration or plate number.
- If your vehicle is financed, please complete lien holder information, including the account number, lien holder name and mailing address.
- Each applicant must sign the application.
- Note: If completing an application in our office, each person applying for ownership must be present to sign the title application and provide personal identification.