In 2010, Florida became a real I.D. state, which requires individuals renewing or obtaining a new license or ID card to prove his/her identity, social security number and residential address with new documentation requirements.
The general documents required for a U.S. citizen are:
One of the following to prove your identity:
- Certified U.S. birth certificate
- Valid U.S. passport or passport card
- Certificate report of birth abroad
- Certificate of Citizenship
Proof of Social Security Number (must provide ONE of these documents):
- Social Security Card (The card must show your current name and be an original, not a photocopy. Please get the name changed on your Social Security card and wait 24 hours before you come in to get a name changed on your driver license. This will ensure your social security card verifies in our system when you come in.)
- Typed W-2 form
- Pay check showing number
Proof of Residential Address (must present two of these documents): Please visit this link to view the forms and updated process information.
Proof of Legal Name Change (Needed if current name differs from the one on your birth certificate.)
Original or certified copy of all marriage certificates or court order showing your name changes. Documents must link the name on your identity document (birth certificate) to your current legal name.
Non- US Citizens:
Document requirements are the same for Social Security number (if issued) and residential address. Learn more about the requirements to prove identity.